Friday, April 26, 2013

The Main Event

There have not been too many days here in Deltaville that the wind has been less than 15 kts.  When we poked our head out of the cabin last night and saw that not only was the wind from the south, but it was probably only gusting to about 8 or 9....we decided it was time to figure out the Mainsail.  Terrapin has "in-mast" furling on the main, which means that the mainsail rolls into the mast vs. "slab reefing" where the sail is lowered and stacked on the boom and then covered with canvas.  There are pros and cons to both methods, but on Terrapin, we have in-mast furling, so we gave it a go.  We have researched and reviewed and set out plans in our mind for how to get this sail attached but you never know what will happen.  We tried to be very careful so we didn't have the whole main raised, catch a gust of wind and have an issue.  Thankfully, our careful preparation paid off and it all went so smoothly!  We are heading out on the Chesapeake this the words of Captain Ron, "If it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there!"
Mainsail laid out on deck to ensure it raises correctly.

Good grip on the outhaul to make sure the sail doesn't get away.
Finishing the tack attachment (Kala supervising.)
Ready to go!
This message is Kala-approved.

No comments:

Post a Comment