Saturday, December 21, 2013

The Metronome Syndrome

A metronome - you know, the thing that tick-ticks back and forth when you're playing an instrument to help keep time with the beat. Well, our mast was metronome-like last night in Hawksnest Bay. I almost felt like I was sleeping on a hammock. We had a great time there - with 4 or 5 Hawksbill turtles playing around and a good reef with some of the biggest parrotfish I've seen in the Caribbean, but it was time to say goodbye - there's only so much balancing my vestibular canal can handle without my body actually moving.

Between rainstorms we moved east on the north side of St John to Francis Bay.  When I went to the bow to pick up the mooring, it felt like someone was spitting in my face...wind gusting 30k right down a saddle. We looked at each other and decided to go to Maho Bay instead - which is 200 meters to the south. It was like someone switched off the wind tunnel and we arrived in a calm pool of turquoise water. Kala ran on deck with a huge grin. That's a good sign!

I think we might be here for a couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment